THIS IS HOW WE HELPED A LONDON-BASED HEDGE FUND MAKE A SUCCESSFUL TRANSITION FROM THEIR AGEING EMAIL SERVER TO HOSTED MICROSOFT EXCHANGE.
An ageing server and overwhelming spam.
Our client had an aging onsite Exchange email server that was in dire need of an upgrade. Rapid organic growth over the last 18 months had resulted in massive mailbox growth that was causing day-to-day performance and reliability issues. The email problems were severely affecting the company’s bottom line.
Additionally, the company staff were also complaining about receiving an overwhelming amount of spam. Access to email features from their mobile devices was also limited because the server was running the now obsolete Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 that is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Email was the main form of communication with their customers due to the nature of their business. Because of this, it was essential to ensure that they had an effective email archiving solution in place in order to remain legally compliant and to guarantee business continuity.
Lastly, the company’s in-house IT Manager was spending an excessive amount of time dealing with email issues. As a result, this became a distraction from their primary objective which was to focus on moving the company forward with an overall IT strategy.
In summary, our client’s ongoing email issues were having a negative effect on productivity and profitability throughout the entire organisation.
OUR INITIAL FINDINGS.
It started with an audit.
We began working with the client in 2016 when they initially asked us to work with their IT Manager to provide technical consultancy for their existing Exchange 2007 platform. They were looking for a trusted and highly technical cloud services provider that had the knowledge and experience necessary to properly advise them going forward.
One of our IT consultants began the consultation by conducting a comprehensive audit of their existing email platform. This was essentially a data gathering exercise that allowed us to get a clear picture of the current infrastructure. The audit included a thorough assessment of the server hardware, software licencing and resource management, in addition to mailbox numbers, mailbox sizes and the volume of emails being sent and received. This assessment provided us with a clear idea of the amount of data being managed by the Exchange server. We also conducted a performance assessment to determine the reliability and consistency of the server’s performance.
That’s not all…
In addition, we invested time into acquiring feedback from all the staff within the London office in an effort to take a ‘people first’ approach to IT – a concept we firmly believe in. By speaking directly to the staff, we were able to quickly identify areas where their email platform was underperforming from a user perspective. The staff also told us about several additional features they’d like us to introduce that would help to improve productivity and make day-to-day tasks easier to accomplish. After the audit was completed, we conducted a meeting with the Senior Management team and the IT Manager to provide them with the results of the audit. This meeting allowed our consultant to discuss our findings in detail, present our recommendations for moving forward and communicate the staff feedback to the Senior Management team.
The majority of our client’s business communication was being conducted via email. Because of their accelerated growth over the past 18 months, the existing Exchange server was no longer able to handle the demands of a growing business that needed to send and receive thousands of emails every day with over 200 mailboxes currently in use.
Additionally, the client also had a high volume of historical emails that were being stored on an antiquated in-house backup solution. To meet regulatory compliance requirements, it was essential for them to replace this system with an updated email archiving solution to reduce risk and safeguard their business-critical data.
The staff also highlighted several compatibility issues they were experiencing because many of them were using different versions of Outlook on their PCs. Additionally, they highlighted the fact that many of their customers were complaining about bounce backs and delays in receiving business-critical emails.
THIS IS WHY HOSTED MICROSOFT EXCHANGE WAS THE SOLUTION.
Hosted Microsoft Exchange is the perfect solution for compliance, cost control and business continuity. Here’s 15 other great reasons why we recommended Hosted Exchange to our client:
- The client will get all the benefits of the latest version of Microsoft Exchange and Outlook without the worry of managing their own Exchange server in-house.
- Hosted Exchange is fully scalable to effectively meet changing business needs. The added flexibility allows the client to add and remove users whenever necessary without the worry of compromising server performance.
- Our data centres are highly secure with comprehensive and advanced security controls that are typically cost prohibitive to implement for most businesses.
- Our Hosted Exchange platform comes with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, mitigating reliability issues.
- Every member of staff will have an unlimited mailbox size.
- Each Hosted Exchange user licence includes the latest version of Microsoft Outlook which ensures every member of the staff is using the same version of Outlook. This alleviates compatibility issues and provides access to the latest Microsoft Outlook and Exchange features.
- Remote workers and staff working from home will be able to access their emails from any device using any operating system.
- Synchronisation across all platforms is automatic which allows the staff to create and send emails on one device and then access them on a different device.
- The client benefits from having access to a dedicated technical account manager at Our IT Department that they can contact directly if technical support is required.
- We are an ISO 27001:2013 accredited organisation. We have our own dedicated cloud platform that is hosted at multiple Tier-3 and Tier-4 UK-data centres. Each data centre is ISO 27001 certified to ensure the client can achieve regulatory compliance.
- No on premise hardware is required because Hosted Exchange is a cloud-based service. Reliability of service becomes the responsibility of the vendor and is backed by a detailed Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Rapid deployment is relatively easy by making modifications to the local email client and changing an MX record.
- Migration to a newer version of Exchange is relatively painless and reduces the costs associated with upgrading to a newer version.
- Hosted Exchange is a fully managed service, which means that the IT Manager will no longer have to deal with the day-to-day email problems. Instead, they can focus on strategic issues and important initiatives that keep the business moving forward.
- Robust data backup services ensure the staff can access email accounts from anywhere in the event of an outage or natural disaster.
Our Hosted Exchange solution is complemented by the following services:
Our fully compliant cloud-based email archiving solution. This ensures regulatory compliance and business continuity.
Our cloud-based Enterprise level Anti-spam solution that eliminates 99%+ of spam before it enters your IT Network Infrastructure.
Both of these cloud-based solutions that have been created by our very own in-house development team. Both of these products are available exclusively to Our IT Department clients.
Thorough from the get-go.
As with all our projects, Our IT Department provides everyone with a ‘Statement of Work’ that defines the scope of the work involved to complete the Hosted Exchange migration project. This document contains details such as all deliverables and milestones, the tasks that lead to the deliverables, the resources needed to complete the project and a breakdown of costs and deadlines.
Having completed over 500 email migration projects.
We understand how important it is to have clear lines of communication with everyone involved in the project. This ensures all parties are kept up to date at every stage of the email migration process.
We also sat down with the management team to discuss what email correspondence needs to be archived before migrating historical emails to Mail-Vault.
With 10 years of historical emails being backed up, the migration presented a great opportunity to conduct some housekeeping!
Prior to the transition, a member of Our IT Consultancy team arranged an ‘Outlook Workshop’ on the premises to enable the staff to become familiar with the many features and functions included in the latest versions of Exchange. The workshop included a Q & A session which gave the staff an opportunity to ask any questions or voice any concerns they had about the new platform.
As stated before, we take a ‘people first’ approach to IT. Conducting workshops with staff prior to migration minimises the impact on productivity that’s often associated with migration to a new system.
- The existing email platform was recreated in a hosted environment that uses the latest version of Microsoft Exchange. This included the migration of 200+ mailboxes from the existing Exchange 2003 server to a Hosted Exchange environment in addition to the migration of mailboxes, calendars, contacts, tasks, journals, rules, permissions and public folders.
- The Hosted Exchange platform is synchronised with the client’s existing Active Directory.
- All the client’s PCs were upgraded to the latest version of Microsoft Outlook.
- All historical emails were migrated to Mail-Vault and the existing backup solution was decommissioned.
- The new Hosted Exchange platform was used extensively in a test environment to ensure everything was functioning correctly and that the solution met our client’s expectations.
- Once testing was complete, the Hosted Exchange solution went live.
- A member of the Projects team was present on site to deal with any issues. The challenges were dealt with quickly and efficiently after the migration project was complete.
- Finally, the clients existing Exchange 2003 server was decommissioned.
The client has replaced their ageing onsite email server with a fully scalable Hosted Exchange solution that will meet the demands of our client’s projected business growth.
- Day-to-day performance and reliability issues that were affecting profit and productivity have been permanently eliminated. In addition, email spam has been mitigated thanks to the enterprise anti-spam solution that is included with our Hosted Exchange platform.
- The implementation of our Mail-Vault email archiving solution has ensured regulatory compliance and business continuity.
- The IT Manager now has more time to focus more on implementing a medium to long-term IT strategy since the day-to-day management of all company emails becomes our responsibility.
- Every staff member uses the same current version of Microsoft Outlook. This has removed any compatibility issues and makes training and ongoing support much easier.
- The staff get to enjoy the additional benefits that accompany the latest version of Exchange, including Skype for Business messaging and conferencing, Outlook web access and unlimited distribution lists.
To conclude, the client has a future-proof email platform that is tailored to their needs and is accompanied by the highest standard of technical support and customer care.
All ongoing email issues that were affecting their bottom line have been eliminated. Additionally, the IT Manager now has more time to focus on IT strategy because Our IT Department is fully managing their email service.
HOW HOSTED EXCHANGE ADDED VALUE TO OUR CLIENTS BUSINESS.
WHY CHOOSE US TO MANAGE YOUR HOSTED EXCHANGE MIGRATION?
Over 20 years’ experience.
We’ve got two decades of technical and commercial experience that brings a focus on providing bespoke solutions coupled with award winning customer care.
An industry leading cloud specialist.
Our IT Department is a trusted and highly accredited IT services organisation and a leading provider of Cloud Computing and Business Continuity solutions for businesses in London and throughout east England.
Our IT Department is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner. We’re a trusted and highly technical Microsoft cloud solutions specialist that has successfully migrated over 500,000 mailboxes to cloud-based email solutions, in addition to introducing other cloud-based applications to the workplace such as SharePoint Online and Office 365.
Let our Hosted Exchange experts fully manage your upcoming email migration project. Contact a member of our business development team today by calling 020 8 501 7676, or complete the online contact form below.
CONTACT US TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUT MIGRATION TO HOSTED EXCHANGE SERVICES.